Monday, August 16, 2010

Carbon Farming



This is a great description of the basis of why I am pursuing an MBA. This concept is the foundation of the business plan I will be writing in the next year. Carbon Farmer's of America say that they can build 6 inches of topsoil per year using intensive rotational grazing and a keyline plow. Bringing the technology of the soil food web into it, I think we can easily top that.

I love this concept so much because it creates benefit on so many levels. For one, there is the carbon sequestration process which takes carbon out of the air where it is a greenhouse gas, and puts it in the soil where it will be turned into plant food (oh, and did I mention that cow farts, i.e. methane, are much less frequent in cows with healthy grass diets than in cows fed on corn and soy). Also, there is the benefit of healthier food; if the plants that the animals eat are healthier, have deeper roots to access more nutrients, than they pass on those benefits to the animals. Also phenomenal are the benefits from decreased erosion of topsoil, groundwater filtration (imagine that! a cowfield that actually helps clean the groundwater instead of polluting it!), economic gain (since there isn't the same need to treat the animals for diseases, to fertilize the fields, to use pesticides fungicides or herbicides, plus the grass stays alive longer into the winter, so less need for purchased hay, and the cows get bigger faster in a healthier way!), oh, and did I mention climate change? On a large enough scale, this process has actually been shown to change local climates by increasing the moisture content in the air which actually cools the region and creates more rainfall! Directly combating climate change!

So, enjoy the video, and to any of my fellow BGI folks who might be interested, I'm starting to put together my entrepreneurship dream team now, and I'm taking applications!

2 comments:

  1. Caleb, you've started something very important here. I believe that we have a huge global undertaking to get carbon DOWN, down out of the atmosphere and into the soil, plants, trees, forest duff, peat, products, building materials, even stone. Blanketing land widely with a 6-inch layer of productive topsoil represents an enormous amount of carbon sequestered, which I can't calculate, but I hope people who can will contribute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Demi!

    The Soil Carbon Coalition website (http://soilcarboncoalition.org/) has an option to check out a map of farms/ranchers/etc who are putting carbon back into their soil and measuring it in tons per acre!

    I have some research on how much carbon we need to put back in the soil to reach pre-industrial levels (about 280 ppm atmospheric CO2), and I'll put together some calculations for how much topsoil we need to fill that requirement. I know that the amount of carbon we'll need to take out of the air is something equivalent to a quarter of the thickness of a fingernail over our terrestrial land, which really doesn't seem like so much when we put it that way...

    Thanks for reading and participating!

    ReplyDelete