Thursday, November 18, 2010

What is Compost Tea anyway?

I get asked this question a lot. So much in fact, that I hesitate to even use the term 'compost tea' because everyone's understanding of what this is seems to be different. Often times nowadays I'll talk about 'compost extract' of 'actively aerated compost extract,' just to avoid the confusion that comes whenever I say 'compost tea.' In my experience, people have told me that compost tea is anything from a burlap sack filled with horse-poo steeped in water for three days in a closed container, to the smelly liquid that seeps out the bottom of your compost or worm bins. These definitions make me cringe. It feels to me like someone saying that making bread is no more than some flour and water. Similarly, the reductionist understanding of compost tea often leads people who might be expecting a 'loaf of bread' to be disappointed by the tasteless lump of dough they pulled out of the oven.
A slight dated photo of me next to my compost tea brewer

In my search for how to amend this, I went to the source (or at least the most popular source of relevant information in today's modern age), Wikipedia. According to the general masses:


"Compost tea is a liquid solution or suspension made by steeping compost in water. It is used as both a fertilizer and in attempts to prevent plant diseases.[15] The liquid is applied as a spray to non-edible plant parts, or as a soil-drench (root dip), such as seedlings, or as a surface spray to reduce incidence of harmful phytopathogenic fungi in the phyllosphere.[16] "


While this definition certainly seems to reflect the general attitude, it is a big source of frustration for me. The very most basic premise is spot-on. Compost tea is a combination of compost and water, and yet it is really so much more.

Compost Tea Equipment from my company BioLogic Systems
What irks me about this definition is the lack of recognition that compost is much more than a fertilizer. In so many ways, we are still approaching farming and gardening from a very conventional NPK perspective. I will often see compost branded as a fertilizer, and while it is true that compost does have a nutritive chemical component, that chemistry is all a result of, and dependent on, the microbiology that really makes compost what it is.

My own definition of compost is: "Organic matter, and the microorganisms that eat it." I find this to be a simple and accurate description of what compost really is, and why it is so important. As an example, one teaspoon of healthy compost will contain around 33,000 different species of bacteria and fungi. That isn't even counting how many of each species there are... Without the microbes, nothing would compost. The process of composting is almost entirely a biological process, not a chemical one, and though there are certainly chemical reactions happening within a compost pile, most of those take place in the guts of microorganisms.

Therefore, compost tea is much less a fertilizer, and much more a biological inoculant. I recently spoke with a agricultural extension agent who told me that the farmers using biological inoculants are a fringe group within organic farmers. I asked him how many farmers use compost, to which he replied that most, if not all of them do. I didn't dare correct him in the moment, but in my mind I was shouting "That means everyone uses bio-inoculants!"

A photo (through a microscope) of my own Compost Tea
So, in my efforts to dispel the myth that compost is an inert fertilizer, similar in some way to the synthetically produced fertilizers we all know and love, here is my definition of compost tea:

"Compost tea is a liquid suspension of compost-dwelling microorganisms, the organic matter on which they feed, sometimes with the addition of specific ingredients to further feed those microorganisms. The liquid is actively aerated (brewed) until the organisms have reached a peak in their population levels at which time the liquid is applied foliarly and as a root drench for plants."

While it may be true that my definition is not necessarily better than wikipedia's, it feels to me to be more accurate. It is one of my deeply held beliefs that if we can start to recognize the living nature of our compost, compost teas, and soils, we would change the way we manage land, grow food, and treat our soil.

More information on this topic in a recent post of mine about resources!

6 comments:

  1. As an amateur gardner with a growing bin of household and garden compost in my backyard, I'm interested in learning how to best apply the so called fruits of our compost to the veg we grow (nearly) year round. Turning compost into compost tea and using it as a fertilizer/bio-innoculant seems like the logical next step for us to take. I'm curious if you see more than a definitional issue with the use of the "tea/bio-innoculant" terminology. In other words, does the broad assumption that it's tea limit the way farmers (and gardners) employ it on their crops? Would a wider understanding of what it is include more applications for it on the ground?

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, did you try editing in some changes into Wikipedia? Try some modest ones — they may stick.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with PTH, I would be interested to hear your perspective Caleb on how to best create and apply compost tea to a backyard garden. I've got a compost bin and a worm bin at home that I would like to utilize this summer by making Teas with both of them.

    I've gained experience with it from working on an organic farm for a summer in Idaho, but am still shaky on the creation process because I've seen it done a bit differently with each person I've worked with. Think there is a chance for either your input on the process or somewhere you would like to refer us to?

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey caleb,

    Looks like a job for rebranding! While compost tea might be a meta level - there is no requirements beyond soaking compost in water and straining. So, maybe a microbiologic inoculant is something more specific to what you are trying to do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whew! What great comments! You guys are really on it! Firstly, PTH, in the wider perspective, the definition of compost tea, and its variability from one individual to the next, certainly does change the way it is used commercially. Because there is no standard for what compost tea is, any kind of study performed to demonstrate the value of compost tea becomes useless if they don't define specifics around the microbiological before and afters. I've seen studies done by the UW where they treated roses for some specific diseases with compost tea, and it didn't really show any effect. The ambiguity comes in when they don't do biological assays of the plants before and after to see what actually changed, and what might have remained an incomplete part of the community. The tea might have been ineffective because they may have used low-quality compost. The quality of a tea depends entirely on the quality of the compost, and the quality of a compost depends entirely on how aerobic and diverse the community of microbes is. Not all compost is created equal...

    Ryan - if you want to use compost tea in your garden, great! However, if you have enough compost, don't even bother with the tea. Here's the difference in the way I see it, Compost is microbes and the organic matter they are eating, Compost Tea is a liquid extraction of the compost-dwelling microbes with the addition of specific types of organic matter for them to eat. The real benefit of compost tea is the ability to use it on a large scale, and apply the same amount of beneficial microbes to your land without having to buy tons and tons of compost.

    Also, like you say, there are many many different ways to make compost tea... some are very different from others. The best resources I can recommend for further info are: My company BioLogic Systems (www.biologicsystemsusa.com), Soil Foodweb Inc (www.soilfoodweb.com), and a local company called Simplici-Tea (http://www.simplici-tea.com/) One of those website ought to have some helpful info for you. Otherwise, let me know and I'd be happy to talk with you about it.

    And Jodie, you hit the nail on the head - compost tea is just too vague a term for what I'm talking about. Liquid Microbial Concentrate might be more accurate, but gee whiz does that sound science-y or what... creative session anyone?

    Thanks for all the comments!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Caleb,

    I think one of the greatest learnings from reading this post is differentiation and the necessity of accuracy in our language. If people misuse a word, misunderstand a concept or distrust the possibility of a product, progress is hindered - no matter how you define progress. You introduce a concept (or in actuality, a product) that is so commonly misconstrued and misperceived. And you point to the need to clearly define and distinguish your product. As simple as this may seem, now that I have a deeper grasp on the future potential of your product versus what is commonly defined as 'compost tea', the implications of accuracy are huge. Keep spreading the gospel...

    ReplyDelete